Skip to main content

Children on Both Sides of Heaven

The complexity of our emotions has always amazed me. How you can have joy for something and be sad for something all at the same time?... Literally feeling two completely opposite emotions at once. How is that even possible? 

I absolutely believe God designed us that way for so many reasons but as I navigate through this grief I find myself in I can't help but to think He designed it specifically for this situation as well.

Feeling joy for something during sorrow brings hope and hope is essential. You lose hope you lose it all. I grieve with hope. 

Another example of this is having children on both sides of Heaven. 

When people say or think... she just needs to enjoy the children she has. Or, she just needs to be thankful for the children she has. Or, at least she has other children.  (Yes! People say these types of things.) I don't think they are fully understanding the situation - at least my situation as that is the only one I can speak for. 

So let me just clear things up on this subject from my perspective. I am absolutely 100% thankful for the children that I have this side of Heaven. In fact, they are the reason I get up in the morning. God uses them for that. He uses them to keep me going. They are His gift to me. His blessings. I see that and I do not forsake them for one second - even with a broken heart. 

I can tell you that since my son's loss I have not missed one soccer game (although I will admit that I did have to watch a couple of these from my vehicle as I was just not in a place to deal with the crowds of people yet). I have not missed one baseball game (unless I had two or more children playing at the same time, then I just had to pick one), I have continued to cook healthy meals for them (if you know me at all you know how important that is to me), I have continued to wash their clothes, clean the house, take them to the swimming pool (once).... I answer their questions about their baby brother even if tears fill my eyes... I have let them cry on my shoulder while I have fought back tears and I have cried with them. 

I do my best to pray in each situation and let the Holy Spirit tell me what they are needing from me in that moment - whether I need to be strong for them or if I need to grieve with them. I know I don't get it right 100% of the time but I do my best. 

Now I am not saying this is what a mom should or shouldn't do in my situation. It is just what has felt right to me. And there was plenty that I couldn't do. Like Mother's Day. I was not fully present on Mother's Day. I had just delivered Kanton two days before and was just released from the hospital the day before. I struggled big time to just be let alone be present for my kids' sake. I have had lots of moments like that in the past forty-nine days and will continue to have those moments. 

But the words that have kept going through my mind throughout this were the words of my oldest son when he was about 15. Someone asked what he would remember most about his mom and he said that he would always remember that I was "present". At the time I took that as a huge complement. That is certainly a goal I have set for myself as a mother. 

That is the standard I set for myself during this time as well. I wanted to still be present despite my grief. I wasn't going to hide my grief from them. I wasn't going to sweep in under the rug. I have been very open with them about this with them. 

The thing that kept going through my mind is that they lost their baby brother, they can't lose their mother too. So I battle. I battle hard to be present for them each and every day. 

I am not just thankful for my children this side of Heaven though. I am thankful for all of my children - even the ones waiting for me in Heaven. That means that just because I have children this side of Heaven doesn't mean I won't grieve for the ones waiting for me in Heaven. Due to the complexity of our God given emotions it is entirely possibly to take joy in my children here and still grieve for the ones I have lost. So just because I am still grieving for Kanton does not mean that I am forsaking my other children. 

As I explained to my children.... you know how much I love you as my children.... well I love Kanton just as much as he is my child also and because of that love I will grieve his loss for the rest of my life just as I will love you for the rest of my life as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Years

Today marks 7 years of being “cancer free”. It is hard to describe how I feel about it - I have such mixed emotions to be honest. I posted a lengthy post on my personal Facebook page and I felt it fitting that I share it here as well. 7 years ago today I was declared “cancer free”. The truth is... once you are diagnosed you are never really “cancer free.” It remains apart of your life. If I am being honest I would tell you that I battle fear daily. Most of the time I can keep it in check but I do have my days - especially when I hear of a friend being diagnosed or even worse, when they lose their battle. Those moments are hard. The last 7 years haven’t been easy. I have dealt with extreme fatigue - especially the first 2 years into remission, I struggled daily to get out of bed and with 4 small children that was not a fun place to be. I have dealt with criticism that I “didn’t bounce back” quickly enough. The expectations of others that the day I was done with trea...

My Grief Journey

Three weeks ago we found out our baby boy was gone. At some point his precious heart stopped beating and I became the mother of a stillborn. This has been a tremendously difficult journey for me. My heart is broken. I simply have no other way to describe it. I miss my sweet Kanton so much and a day has not gone by that I have not cried for him. I don't expect to have a day without tears anytime soon. I have prayed and prayed for God to help me find a way to use this for some sort of good. I am honestly not sure if I have heard an answer to my prayer yet or not but I do feel like God is asking me to share some of my grief journey now - something that honestly terrifies me but I will be obedient nonetheless. I have been writing continually since we found out our baby boy was gone. For as long as I can remember writing has been a tremendous outlet for me and God has used it to help me find healing during some of my toughest battles. I pray it becomes that for me again as I gri...

Hello 2016

How is it 2016 already? It seems like yesterday I was 12 and then I blink and I am a wife and a mother of 5. Time sure does fly.  I have been doing a lot of reflecting to ring in the new year. I have been thinking about the things I accomplished in 2015... What I didn't... What I want to accomplish in 2016.  I think I kind of had the motto in 2015 to "just to better". Eat a little healthier. Exercise a little more. Get a little more organized. Make more memories. And I believe I accomplished all those on a tentative level. This year I want to use 2015 as a springboard and just keep doing better in 2016.  I am excited for this year. Probably more so than I have been in many previous years. I know it is going to be a great year.  Oh, and I plan on doing a whole lot more writing than I did in 2015. 😊